It’s the first time in more than a decade that a major retailer has decided to pull its advertisements from a political party.
The company said Friday it would pull ads from the U.S. Republican National Committee and from its sister organization, the Republican National Convention.
The move came days after the Republican convention held in Cleveland, Ohio.
“Our hearts are heavy with grief at the loss of our beloved party of Lincoln, who was a patriot and a great American patriot,” Jeff Gannon, the president and CEO of Walgreens Boots Alliance, said in a statement.
The retailer, which also includes Walmart, Costco and Target, said it would not run ads in the 2018 and 2020 presidential elections. “
His legacy of strength and justice will be felt by all who love our country and those who serve it.”
The retailer, which also includes Walmart, Costco and Target, said it would not run ads in the 2018 and 2020 presidential elections.
“This decision was made to ensure the safety and well-being of our associates and our customers, and in accordance with the applicable rules and regulations, we will not run any future advertisements during this period,” the statement said.
“As always, our thoughts and prayers are with all those impacted by these tragic events.”
The RNC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In the early hours of Friday morning, the GOP announced it had suspended its participation in the convention and its political action committee, the RNC, had withdrawn from the convention.
The RNC, which endorsed Donald Trump, said the move was made in consultation with the National Association of Broadcasters, the U,S.
Conference of Mayors, the League of Women Voters, the National Education Association, the Chamber of Commerce, the AFL-CIO and other organizations.
The Democratic National Committee said in its statement that it was reviewing the decision.
The DNC said it was in “deep shock and mourning” after learning of the news.
It called for a national unity rally Saturday and urged attendees to attend to show their support for the grieving families.
“The DNC remains steadfastly committed to working with the RNC to ensure all our efforts are aligned to the highest standards,” DNC spokesman Alex Conant said in the statement.
The GOP convention is expected to draw a record attendance of nearly 14 million people, with some states reporting upwards of 20 million.
More than 20,000 people gathered Friday in front of the Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, to protest the convention’s decision to pull ads.
“I have no idea what’s going on.
It’s terrible,” said one man who said he was a voter for Donald Trump.
“If the RNC is so good, why aren’t they supporting him?”
“I think they should pull their ads, too,” said another man.
“It’s going to hurt them,” said a woman in a red sweater.
The decision came a day after the DNC announced it was suspending its support of the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, Hillary Clinton, for the remainder of the convention in Cleveland.
“While the DNC will continue to work closely with the DNC on the convention, the decision to suspend our participation in future Democratic National Convention events will not affect the future of our party’s work in this campaign,” the DNC said in an emailed statement.
The RNC announced earlier in the day that it would withdraw from the 2020 convention and that its political committee, Republican National Committeeman, would not participate in future events.
At the time of the RNC decision, it said it planned to keep its own advertisements on display.
The U.N. said it had received more than 700 reports of attacks and vandalism since the convention started, including one person shot and killed in a drive-by shooting at a downtown Los Angeles hotel.
“The U. S. is a very safe country and it is important that we have strong security for our attendees and the rest of our community,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said in Cleveland on Thursday.
“We will continue with our commitment to protect our convention.”
The White House said it is deeply concerned by the actions of these groups and that we condemn any violence, intimidation, or other unlawful actions that threaten our peaceful protesters.
“No American should be intimidated or harassed because of their political beliefs,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in Washington, D.C. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally in Cleveland at the UIC Pavilion on July 20, 2020.
Trump has said the violence in Cleveland was caused by a group of anarchists and not by protesters.
He has blamed the violence on the media and the Democrats for spreading lies about him.
(Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images) “The president believes the actions that have been shown to have occurred in Cleveland were not perpetrated by people who are sympathetic to his campaign.
They were the actions, the actions we see around the country,” he said in New Hampshire.
“They were the people who attacked our peaceful protests and